The New Supervisor (Online)
Online course | Dedicated trainer support | Nationally accredited
Shifting from being ‘one of the team’ to leading the team can be a challenging move. As a new supervisor, team leader or frontline manager it’s now up to you to make difficult decisions, give feedback and drive performance.
Having the right leadership skills under your belt can make sure you get off to a strong start and rally your team behind you.
Managers and supervisors provide leadership for a team and bridge the gap between the management of the organisation and their team members. This course will help you understand ways to 'manage up' as well as manage a team.
This course is structured in 4 modules:
- Creating structure and purpose within a team to achieve objectives
- Build cohesive teams through open communication, defining responsibilities and gathering feedback
- Supporting team members to resolve problems through role modelling and personal contribution
- Techniques and tools for communicating information up, down and sideways in the organisation
This course addresses the skills, knowledge and outcomes required to plan and supervise the performance of a team and develop cohesive teams.
Plan to achieve team outcomes
- Lead the team to identify, establish and document team purpose, roles, responsibilities, goals, plans and objectives in consultation with team members
- Engage team members to incorporate innovation and productivity measures in work plans
- Lead and support team members in meeting expected outcomes
Lead team to develop cohesion
- Provide opportunities for input of team members into planning, decision making and operational aspects of work team
- Encourage and support team members to take responsibility for own work and to assist each other in undertaking required roles and responsibilities
- Provide feedback to team members to encourage, value and reward individual and team efforts and contributions
- Recognise and address issues, concerns and problems identified by team members or refer to relevant persons as required
- Model expected behaviours and approaches
Participate in and facilitate work team
- Actively encourage team members to participate in and take responsibility for team activities and communication processes
- Give the team support to identify and resolve problems which impede its performance
- Ensure own contribution to work team serves as a role model for others and enhances the organisation's image within the work team, the organisation and with clients/customers
Liaise with management
- Maintain open communication with line manager/management at all times
- Communicate information from line manager/management to the team
- Communicate unresolved issues, concerns and problems raised by the team/team members to line manager/management and ensure follow-up action is taken
- Communicate unresolved issues, concerns and problems related to the team/team members raised by line managers/management to the team and ensure follow-up to action is taken
This course is registered for Centrelink student payments. Please contact the Department of Human Services to check your eligibility for assistance.
There are no formal educational entry requirements for this course.
To support a successful learning experience student will require:
1. Minimum technology requirements including access to a device (desktop/mobile/tablet), reliable internet connection and use of a personal email account.
2. Access to a current or previous workplace to support the completion of work-based assessment and observation. Students who do not have access to a work environment will be supported with an alternative scenario.
Course delivery and support
This course is delivered online via MiTraining’s Learning Management System (LMS). When you enrol you’ll be asked to setup your LMS student account and will then be granted immediate access to the course materials including:
- Course content and reading materials
- Activities and assessments
- Discussion forums
- Supplementary learning materials
MiTraining trainers and assessors are qualified to deliver vocational education and training courses and hold current industry knowledge and expertise. A requirement for all trainers is that they can demonstrate vocational competency – that means they must have the particular skills and knowledge relevant to the course they are delivering.
All accredited courses include assessment. To gain a Statement of Attainment you must attempt and be deemed “competent” in each assessment item.
Your trainer will work with you to ensure you understand what is required in each assessment item. The assessments may take the form of questions, written projects, case studies, workplace scenarios or observation.
Each assessment method provides a different type of evidence. Taken together, the complete assessment provides a holistic view of your ability to perform competently and confidently in the workplace to the level set down in the Competency Standards.
Although undertaking the assessment is not compulsory, we highly recommend students complete and submit assessments to support and reinforce their knowledge and skills.
This course requires approximately a 62 hour study commitment made up of reading and digesting course content, self-directed reading and study, undertaking assessment items and workplace based collaboration.
You may complete the course more quickly depending on your level of prior experience (work and education). You will be provided with six months’ continuous access to the course on the LMS.
This course includes the unit of competency:
- BSBLDR403 Lead team effectiveness
Students who choose to complete the course assessment may gain credit towards the nationally recognised Certificate IV in Leadership and Management offered by MiTraining.
What does the course cost?
The course fee is $282 upfront payment. For more information see the Course Details and Course Inclusions box on this course page. If you require an inovice or would like to discuss payment plan options please email email@example.com.
Do I have to do the assessment?
Assessment is optional but highly recommended. To receive a Statement of Attainment you must complete the assessment and be deemed competent.
Who is the course accredited with?
The course incorporates the single unit of competency BSBLDR403 Lead team effectiveness from the Australian Business Services Training Package. This unit of competency is an elective unit within MiTraining’s Certificate IV in Leadership and Management. Vocational education and training packages are regulated by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).
What kind of support do I get?
You will be assigned a dedicated, qualified trainer to support you through the course and assessments.
View more frequently asked questions.
Training options for staff
MiTraining Corporate offers highly practical and industry relevant training to small, medium and large organisations seeking to develop staff. Organisations can choose from nationally recognised qualifications, accredited short courses or professional development workshops to focus on a specific skill set.
To request a quote for delivery of training to groups of staff please call 1300 549 190 or enquire here.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Certificate IV in Leadership and Management
Equip yourself with the knowledge and skills to lead and support your team towards successful outcomes, and through the day‐to‐day challenges of working with colleagues and clients.
Communicate with Influence
If your ability to communicate ideas, objectives or opinions is holding you back, or communicating with influence will improve your work performance, this course is for you.
Show Leadership in the Workplace
This course will help you develop the skills and knowledge required to lead teams through modelling high standards of conduct, being a positive role model and applying a values-based leadership style.