Develop Emotional Intelligence
Online course | Dedicated trainer support | Nationally accredited
Emotional intelligence, referred to as EQ, is all about the ability to be aware of, control and express emotions along with handling different relationships maturely. Someone with high EQ stands out because they are skillful at developing teams that are more productive and seen as a positive influence at work.
Demonstrating emotional intelligence in the workplace applies to every interaction in your business – it’s widely agreed that that people who display high EQ are ideal to take on leadership roles. This course covers the development and use of emotional intelligence to increase self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management in the context of the workplace.
If you often face problems around work relationships or have ever wondered why you’re not progressing rapidly in your career, despite your skills and experience, this course is for you.
This course is structured in four modules:
- Understanding your own emotional strengths and weaknesses through self-awareness and reflection
- Apply emotional intelligence to workplace situations and dealing with others
- Build emotional intelligence in others to foster improved relationships and outcomes
- Leverage the emotional strengths of team members to lift performance and develop a positive work environment
This course applies to managers who identify, analyse, synthesise and act on information from a range of sources and who deal with unpredictable problems. They use initiative and judgement to organise the work of self and others and plan, evaluate and co-ordinate the work of teams.
Identify the impact of own emotions on others in the workplace
- Identify own emotional strengths and weaknesses
- Identify personal stressors and own emotional states related to the workplace
- Develop awareness of own emotional triggers and use this awareness to enable control emotional responses
- Model workplace behaviours that demonstrate management of emotions
- Use self-reflection and feedback from others to improve development of own emotional intelligence
Recognise and appreciate the emotional strengths and weaknesses of others
- Respond to the emotional states of co-workers and assess emotional cues
- Identify the range of cultural expressions of emotions and respond appropriately
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in dealing with others
- Take into account the emotions of others when making decisions
Promote the development of emotional intelligence in others
- Provide opportunities for others to express their thoughts and feelings
- Assist others to understand the effect of their behaviour and emotions on others in the workplace
- Encourage the self-management of emotions in others
- Encourage others to develop their own emotional intelligence to build productive relationships and maximise workplace outcomes
Utilise emotional intelligence to maximise team outcomes
- Encourage a positive emotional climate in the workplace
- Use the strengths of workgroup members to achieve workplace outcomes
There are no formal educational entry requirements for this course.
To support a successful learning experience student will require:
1. Minimum technology requirements including access to a device (desktop/mobile/tablet), reliable internet connection and use of a personal email account.
2. Access to a current or previous workplace to support the completion of work-based assessment and observation. Students who do not have access to a work environment will be supported with an alternative scenario.
Course delivery and support
This course is delivered online via MiTraining’s Learning Management System (LMS). When you enrol you’ll be asked to setup your LMS student account and will then be granted immediate access to the course materials including:
- Course content and reading materials
- Activities and assessments
- Discussion forums
- Supplementary learning materials
MiTraining trainers and assessors are qualified to deliver vocational education and training courses and hold current industry knowledge and expertise. A requirement for all trainers is that they can demonstrate vocational competency – that means they must have the particular skills and knowledge relevant to the course they are delivering.
All accredited courses include assessment. To gain a Statement of Attainment you must attempt and be deemed “competent” in each assessment item.
Your trainer will work with you to ensure you understand what is required in each assessment item. The assessments may take the form of questions, written projects, case studies, workplace scenarios or observation.
Each assessment method provides a different type of evidence. Taken together, the complete assessment provides a holistic view of your ability to perform competently and confidently in the workplace to the level set down in the Competency Standards.
Although undertaking the assessment is not compulsory, we highly recommend students complete and submit assessments to support and reinforce their knowledge and skills.
This course requires approximately a 65 hour study commitment made up of reading and digesting course content, self-directed reading and study, undertaking assessment items and workplace based collaboration.
You may complete the course more quickly depending on your level of prior experience (work and education). You will be provided with six months’ continuous access to the course on the LMS.
This course includes the unit of competency:
- BSBLDR501 Develop and use emotional intelligence
Students who choose to complete the course assessment may gain credit towards the nationally recognised Diploma of Leadership and Management offered by MiTraining.
What does the course cost?
The course fee is $360 upfront payment. For more information see the Course Details and Course Inclusions box on this course page. If you require an inovice or would like to discuss payment plan options please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I have to do the assessment?
Assessment is optional but highly recommended. To receive a Statement of Attainment you must complete the assessment and be deemed competent.
Who is the course accredited with?
The course incorporates the single unit of competency BSBLDR501 Develop and use emotional intelligence from the Australian Business Services Training Package. This unit of competency is an elective unit within MiTraining’s Certificate IV in Leadership and Management. Vocational education and training packages are regulated by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).
What kind of support do I get?
You will be assigned a dedicated, qualified trainer to support you through the course and assessments.
Training options for staff
MiTraining Corporate offers highly practical and industry relevant training to small, medium and large organisations seeking to develop staff. Organisations can choose from nationally recognised qualifications, accredited short courses or professional development workshops to focus on a specific skill set.
To request a quote for delivery of training to groups of staff please call 1300 549 190 or enquire here.
Other recommended courses
The concept of emotional intelligence is complex and encompasses a range of behaviours that are deeply connected to personal attributes and life experiences. We find that defining a topic often helps to better understand it. Here's how Psychology Today defines emotional intelligence:
Emotional intelligence is the ability to identify and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others. It is generally said to include three skills: emotional awareness; the ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving; and the ability to manage emotions, which includes regulating your own emotions and cheering up or calming down other people.
You might also be interested in our related blog artilce (3 minute read), What are soft skills?