Plan a home based business
Flexible online course
This short course will help you develop a strong understanding of the essential requirements of setting up and running small business from home. This is a practical course with content and learning that can be applied to establishing a home-based business in any field.
So, no matter what your business idea, service offering or field of expertise is, you will learn to identify practical requirements of running a home based business.
This includes calculating the potential costs of setting up the business, identifying what local, state and federal legislation may apply to your venture, how to prepare your home for clients and identifying contingency plans for any potential conflicts.
If you have been thinking about taking the step towards running a small business from home, this course can help you make it a reality.
This course is structured in three modules:
- Determine viability of basing a business in a home environment
- Plan workplace in a home environment
- Minimise potential sources of conflict
This course describes the skills and knowledge required to assess the viability and create a plan to operate a business in the home environment. It applies to individuals who are establishing or operating a micro business that provides self-employment.
Determine viability of basing a business in a home environment
- Identify activities that will be undertaken by the business and what facilities and workspace are needed
- Identify what licences, permits, regulations or restrictions apply to operating a home based business
- Identify availability of services and infrastructure to support the business
- Calculate costs of suitable fittings and equipment for the business and any modifications required to existing facilities and infrastructure in the home
- Determine access requirements of clients or delivery vehicles to the business premises
- Identify insurance requirements for operation of the business in the home
Plan workplace in a home environment
- Prepare a floor plan or layout that meets needs of the business and home occupants
- Prepare any concept plans for modifications to buildings or structures in accordance with local government requirements
- Obtain approvals from relevant authorities
- Identify work health and safety (WHS) issues and develop procedures to eliminate or minimise any risks
- Design workplace to provide appropriate client access and facilities while retaining privacy for home occupants
- Allocate adequate and secure space for business machinery, equipment and storage of materials
Minimise potential sources of conflict
- Identify possible sources of conflict with neighbours or home occupants
- Develop protocols for home occupants, visitors and clients to enable the business to successfully operate in the home environment
- Prepare a work schedule that identifies business and personal activities
- Establish contingency plans for unanticipated events
There are no formal educational entry requirements for this course.
To support a successful learning experience student will require:
1. Minimum technology requirements including access to a device (desktop/mobile/tablet), reliable internet connection and use of a personal email account.
2. Access to a current or previous workplace to support the completion of work-based assessment and observation. Students who do not have access to a work environment will be supported with an alternative scenario.
Course delivery and support
This course is delivered online via MiTraining’s Learning Management System (LMS). When you enrol you’ll be asked to setup your LMS student account and will then be granted immediate access to the course materials including:
- Course content and reading materials
- Discussion forums
- Supplementary learning materials
This course requires approximately a 68 hour study commitment made up of reading and digesting course content, self-directed reading and study and attempting course activities.
You may complete the course more quickly depending on your level of prior experience (work and education). You will be provided with six months’ continuous access to the course on the LMS.
What does the course cost?
The course fee is $195. For more information see the Course Details and Course Inclusions box on this course page.
Do I have to do the activities?
The course includes a series of acitivities and tasks to help reinforce your learning. Completing the activities is highly recommended.
What kind of support do I get?
You will be provided with unlimited student support from the MiTraining team.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Basic Business Budgeting
Budgets are one of the most important financial statements for your business. Developing and maintaining a budget supports key decisions around the performance, growth and direction of your business. This course will provide you with the foundation knowledge needed to develop a basic understanding of budgets and the budgeting process.
Develop a Micro Business Proposal
This course will help you develop the skills and knowledge required to research the feasibility of a small business opportunity and produce a compelling proposal as a tool to attract support from different stakeholders.